Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Welcome, with caveat.

Welcome.  But if you're looking for the musings of a voyeur, you're in the wrong blog.  We all have things we watch.  Television, stocks, our weight.  I watch my yard.  I watch grass grow.  So perhaps this blog will be of limited interest in this fast-paced world of ours, but I hope that maybe a few readers will find something in it.  Mostly, I'm writing to hone my own powers of observation, to record what I see happening out there and what it does to me in here.

"Watch" has another meaning, too, a meaning a bit outdated but vivid still.  A watch was a period of lonely, patient, expectant waiting, often through the night.  Expecting what...the dawn, the Christ, Fortinbras' army?  For me, the gardener, this sense of the word seems especially apt as I begin my blogging in late February, the ground still frozen and new life still but a promise.  

It's a subtle refinement on the word "hope" that I'm looking for here.  Maybe it will become clearer as I write.

And so on to Entry the First, "Cruel But Not Cruelest."

No comments:

Post a Comment