Friday, March 14, 2014

My Inspiration


Okay, so that was a flop.  I guess gardening and great literature don't mix.  I've been racking my brain for literary works in which gardens and gardening figure prominently, but apart from the early chapters of Genesis, I got bupkis.  Please let me know if you can think of any.  But before I let go of the literary impulse, allow me to wax enthusiastic over a book I'm reading about Jefferson's Monticello gardens, A Rich Spot of Earth



Often I wonder at the things people read.  Gun magazines, Madeleine Albright's autobiography, Paolo Coelho.  Why?  Yet it occurs to me that others might wonder the same about me.  Perhaps not everyone would consider a book about Jefferson's gardens a must-read.  Here's why it is.

After writing the Declaration of Independence, serving as governor, secretary of state, and president, founding and designing the University of Virginia, and living in Paris as minister to France, all Jefferson really wanted to do was retire to Monticello and tend his gardens.  This gives one pause, does it not?  Is Voltaire right that our main concern in this life, no matter how brilliant we are, should be to "cultiver nos jardins"? I do think a case can be made that the careful, loving stewardship of this once-paradise is about the highest calling available to us. Plus, as a good Catholic, I like the penitential aspect to healing humanity's cardinal sin, the wanton destruction of God's creation.  Tikkun olam, as the Jewish mandate has it:  repair the world. 

Jefferson understood that there are few salves to the soul more healing than tending the earth.  Gardening summons in us the deepest of satisfactions.  The gardener is at once visionary, dreamer, pragmatist, artist, healer, steward, provider. Here's Jefferson on his calling as a gardener:

I have often though that if heaven had given me choice of my position and calling, it should have been on a rich spot of earth, well watered, and near a good market for the productions of the garden.  No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden.  Such a variety of subjects, some one always coming to perfection, the failure of one thing repaired by the success of another...But tho' an old man, I am but a young gardener.

Of course (and here comes the elephant in the room), the hard work was all done by slaves.  J's record on slavery is a terrible blight on his name.  A benign slaveholder, but a slaveholder nonetheless, and one who is particularly blameworthy, given the inexcusable gap between his mighty human rights rhetoric and his persistent refusal to manumit, even after death.   As one of the most enlightened and briliant Americans before or since, he certainly knew better.  And no use excusing his behavior as a product of his times.  Plenty others of his class, Washington, for instance, were much better on this score.

And yet.  Here's how I square his slaveholding with my tremendous admiration for the man.  Jefferson's greatness was so boundless, so capacious, that even when we subtract the slaveholding debit from his reputation, he remains one of our greatest Americans.  I do realize that this form of moral reckoning is risky, but that's where I am on this question.  Jefferson was one of those for whom Whitman's words truly do apply:  "Do I contradict myself?  Very well then, I contradict myself.  I am large.  I contain multitudes."  I use this line all the time on myself, but for me it always rings kind of phony.  Not for Jefferson.

What I really love about Monticello and the other Revolutionary-era estates of Virginia is the restraint these founding fathers showed in their design plans.  Just as their seminal writings eschewed the bombastic and the self-aggrandizing, their estates too demonstrate a certain modesty.  The Palladian impulse toward balance and harmony is very pleasingly blended with a healthy and humble appreciation for the vast, untamed wilderness they found themselves in.  They easily could have modeled their grounds on the prissy, hyper-symmetric Enlightenment gardens of Versailles and Schonbrunn.  Instead, they chose to embrace their English heritage, with its quaint love of the slightly unruly and the particular.  Spend some time in piedmont Virginia, as I did for two years when I taught in Charlottesville, and you will be struck by how perfectly the human imprint complements the land.  I have seen that nowhere else but in the mountains of Lebanon. 




3 comments:

  1. I didn't know that about Jefferson. I watched a video awhile back about a former Congressman who is now living completely off grid in an isolated spot, growing his own food. He has his own ideas about what is coming & wanted to prepare for it & is completely enjoying his new lifestyle. I've never heard of anyone leaving the corporate world to pursue a lifestyle more in harmony with their heart's desire & Soul's calling that regretted it...quite the opposite, looking back most say it's the best thing that ever happened to them.
    I think especially now there is a great need for more gardeners & I truly admire & respect those that seek to do it in ways that enhance life & health, working with nature instead of against it. I like books like 'The Findhorn Garden' & 'The Elves of Lily Hill Farm'.
    Nice post Ramsay, There should be a like button for these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's strange that you say there is no salve that soothes the soul like gardening. I find that nothing vexes me like the mal-intent of my garden. Whether it's watching the good plants die while the boring ones thrive, or seeing the grass die where I want it while it toils endlessly to invade less opportune areas where I don't want it, I just have to wonder. Perhaps it's because I am none of those elevated adjectives that follow your statement. Or perhaps, if I may toss some Voltaire as well, albeit in English, "In this, the best of all possible worlds, everything is as it should be". Which is to say that my suffering at the hands of the horticulture gods is perhaps befitting a sod like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 year later, Rita is missing Ramsay's posts.

    ReplyDelete